The purpose of reviewing an article review is to provide your reader with your evaluation of the article along with a brief summary of its argument and reasoning. Organize your paper using a thesis statement, just like in a research paper, but your thesis here will be an evaluation of the article and the reasons for such a positive or negative appraisal. Often, articles have strengths and weaknesses and it’s important to list to your reasons for both. Here are a few questions to help you assess the quality of an article:
- Is the author a reputable researcher in this field?
- Are the references used for the study current and reputable?
- Is the article organized and clearly expressed or is it unnecessarily confusing?
- Is the author free of bias or charged with emotion?
- Do the results of the study confirm or disprove what the author expected?
- Does the conclusion follow the given evidence, or is it somehow unrelated?
- Why is this article important?
These tips for writing an article review were gathered from the following links. Check them out for more information.
University of Toronto