Thursday, June 21, 2007

The final push

It’s past mid-June so we’re half-way through many Summer 1 session courses. For many students, assignments are coming due and exams are just around the corner. If you’re like me, you might feel panicked, anxious and tired all at the same time, wondering, “How will I make it through to the end?” These feelings are pretty normal. Here are some tips that have helped me make it through the final push at the end of a course:

1) I re-focus on my goals. Successfully completing the course is my top priority right now. I have to accept that I may not be able to maintain “balance” in my life for the next two weeks. I can catch up on chores, family obligations, and socializing after final projects and exams are done. I tell my self: “The dirt will wait. I can vacuum the floor next week.”

2) I cut big assignments or tasks into small, manageable chunks. Writing a 20-page paper can seem overwhelming, so I think about a paper in distinct sections (introduction, background, literature review). I check off and celebrate small accomplishments. When I complete the literature review section, I will walk to DQ for a chocolate sundae reward.

3) I ask for help. If there are chores on my to-do list that must be done, can I ask a friend or family member to do it for me? Can I ask my mom to do my laundry this week? Can my boyfriend give me a ride to school, which will save me time and squeeze in a few precious minutes of togetherness? I remind my friends and family that this busy period will be over soon.

As we get to the end of this session, gather your energy for the final push and hang in there!

Monique

No comments: